Member # 262
posted 02. May 2002 09:34
I would like to propose a mathematical logical definition of intelligence and then a hypothesis that ‘1)all known forms or manifestations of intelligence fit into one of five broad categories and 2) all of five manifestation can be modeled and analyzed in terms of the proposed mathematical/logical definition of intelligence". I present here only the broad outlines of the proposal, but I am prepared to provide additional details.
MATHATICAL/LOGICAL DEFINITION OF INTELLIGENCE
The term ‘multiple decision point maze’ refers to a type of logical problem. To successfully solve the problem or complete the maze, it is necessary to select the appropriate option at each decision point. Solving the maze requires information. Three types or sources of information can be used to solve the problem. These are 1)pre-existing information (information available before entering the maze), 2. environmental information (the correct option can be determined from information available in the maze) and 3. Other or information created by intelligence. In terms of the multiple decision point maze, "Intelligence" is defined as the process or force which creates the information needed to solve a maze problem where the required information was neither pre-existing nor available from the environment.
The terminology used here may be unconventional, but the logic underlying this mathematical definition of intelligence is not new. The mathematical/logical process or force which creates information has in fact been known (under different terminology) for a long time. What is new here, I believe, is the claim that this definition can be used to model and analyze all known forms of intelligence as observed in nature.
MANIFESTATIONS OF INTELLIGENCE IN THE REAL WORLD
I propose as a hypothesis that 1)there are manifestations of intelligence in the real world that meet the above mathematical/logical definition of intelligence, and 2)all known or inferred manifestations on earth come under one the five following broad headings:
1. HUMAN INTELLIGENCE- Human intelligence is not strictly limited to humans, but the label ‘human’ is used because this type of manifestation of intelligence is so highly developed in humans. I can, I believe, demonstrate that observed occurrences of human intelligence fit the above mathematical definition of intelligence.
2. ARTIFICIAL OR MACHINE INTELLIGENCE- It can be demonstrated that mechanical or artificial forms of intelligence are logically possible.
3. NERVOUS SYSTEM INTELLIGENCE- It can be demonstrated that nervous systems ‘create information’ in the manner suggested by the above mathematical definition of intelligence. What is ‘interesting’, is that the physical mechanics of nervous system intelligence are different from the physical mechanics of what is called human intelligence.
4. GENOMIC OR CELL INTELLIGENCE- It can be demonstrated that cells and groups of cells create information and exhibit intelligence of the type defined above. This demonstration appears to confirm or support the claim that ‘intelligence’ plays a role in the design of life forms.
5. PRE-GENOMIC INTELLIGENCE- It can reasonably be inferred that there must have existed some form of pre-genomic intelligence which created or designed genomic intelligence. While I believe it would be possible to develop a model of how such an intelligence would have worked, I have not addressed the issue. It is ‘interesting’ that no current manifestations of this type of intelligence have been discovered and/or recognized.
I would appreciate any comments on the above definition and hypothesis.